Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Being Strong in Your Own Way.

 When  I compare myself to my sister I find that even though we have grown up with the same parents we are two extremely different people. We have always been told we are complete opposites, but sometimes people think that being different from one another means one is weaker than the other. When in reality two people can be strong in different ways.


 I've always been told I'm a person who speaks her mind, never lets people get the best of me, strong and independent. I've taken the rough, tough, and crazy experiences and turned them into a positive outlook instead of dwelling on past. To me dwelling on the past only keeps you in the past, you can never move forward until you deal with your demons and let go of them. I try to be strong on the exterior at all times, when in reality when no ones around I can break down when I'm hurt.

 Meggs, my sister, has always been a person to wear her heart on her sleeve. She doesn't try to show she can be vulnerable, but it is usually an obvious thing with her. She has always been the first to have to deal with what our parents had to throw at her. She got the bulk of the what she calls "abusive" treatment. Not in the aspect of physical even though we did get spanked with wooden spoons, but in the aspect of emotional and pyschological.

 Being sisters, and obviously dealing with problems or confrontation in a different matter than one another means we have had our differences. I have always pushed her to get over it and stand her ground. She can be an easy victim of being bullied by friends, family and even co-workers. It's hard to listen to her stories and look at it from her perspective. BUT I have seen over the past couple years my sister has grown to be strong in her own way, and not letting people who have for so long affect her to not have that control on her any longer.


 Even though we are totally different, my sister is a strong and independent woman in her own way. She has made me so proud for her finally taking a stand in what she believes in and not letting tell her otherwise. I've seen her grow from caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. She ensures that no one can take the happiness she wants in her life from her. Even the hard times we have with each other I'm glad she's my sister.






 I believe being strong means knowing your weaknesses and trying to grow from them. Working on building yourself into being a positive person, and never losing sight of what your goals are in life. Also taking the bad that is thrown in your path and finding the good that comes out of it. When you have morals and your faced with someone attacking your morals being able to take a stand. Everyone has an idea of who they are and who they want to be, not letting anyone come in and change you makes you strong. CHOOSE to be STRONG! 

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely tribute, Bri! And very inspirational. Did you have your sister read it? I also love the pictures. Excellent ending to your blog.

    ReplyDelete